Psalm 51:1-2 (JDV)
Psalm 51:11 Show favor to me, God, according to your covenant faithfulness; according to your abundant compassion, erase my rebellion.
Psalm 51:2 Completely wash away my guilt and cleanse me from my failure.
Our first course in confession begins with two theological truths. They are the reason why we can come to God and confess our sins to him. These two truths are:
- God is faithful to his covenant.
- God has an abundance of compassion for his people.
Then, we are introduced to the reasons why we need to address this sin, and not ignore it:
- Sin is rebellion against the covenant, which needs to be erased.
- Sin produces personal guilt, that needs to be washed away.
- Sin flaws the sinner, creating a failure that needs to be cleansed.
The further we get from God, the less we tend to take our sin seriously, but the more serious it becomes. It is time for God’s people to learn the biblical discipline of regular confession, not because we are “so bad” we need it, but because God is so good. The better we understand God’s holiness, the more time we will spend confessing our impurity.
Lord, make us an army of confessors.