Deuteronomy 16:16-17 (JDV)
Deuteronomy 16:16 “All your males are to appear three times a year before Yahveh your God in the place he chooses: at the Festival of Matzah, the Festival of Weeks, and the Festival of Huts. No one is to appear before Yahveh empty-handed.
Deuteronomy 16:17 Everyone must appear with a gift suited to his means, according to the empowerment Yahveh your God has given you.
The LORD did not require every member of the household to attend these three great yearly festivals, but he did require the male representatives to attend. Each of the festivals celebrated the relationship of God with his people.
- He is their deliverer from the past slavery (Festival of Matzah),
- He is their provider for the present (Festival of Weeks),
- and he is their promise for the future (Festival of Huts).
Our Lord Jesus Christ offers the same benefits in his gospel.
- He came to release the captives and set the oppressed free (Luke 4:18)
- He provides the bread of life in himself (John 6:35, 48)
- He promises a place for us in his Father’s house when he returns (John 14:2-3).
Christ can be for us all that God wants for us. Is there any reason not to celebrate that fact regularly?
LORD, thank you for all that you want for us, and for Jesus Christ, who embodies it all.