Lev 7:35 This is the portion of Aaron and of his sons from Yahveh’s fire offerings, from the day they were presented to serve as priests of Yahveh.
Lev 7:36 Yahveh commanded this to be given them by the people of Israel, from the day that he anointed them. It is a permanent prescription throughout their generations.”
Lev 7:37 This is the law of the ascending offering, of the tribute offering, of the mistake offering, of the reparation offering, of the ordination offering, and of the offering for healthy relationships.
Lev 7:38 which Yahveh commanded Moses on Mount Sinai, on the day that he commanded the people of Israel to bring their offerings to Yahveh, in the wilderness of Sinai.
the Sinai six
Six offerings commanded by the LORD to Moses on Mount Sinai are mentioned here. Each offering communicates something about who God is, and what he expects of those who take his name.
- ascending – God is exalted – we must seek his presence
- tribute – God is king – we must seek his favour
- mistake – God is perfect – we must seek his forgiveness
- reparation – God is saviour – we must honour his grace
- ordination – God is holy – we must honour his servants
- healthy relationships – God is one – we must honour his community
We can also see a transition of sorts in the offerings as listed here. The first three emphasise the covenant community’s responsibility to Love God, while the second three emphasise the covenant community’s responsibility to love each other. A similar two-fold emphasis is seen in the ten commandments.
LORD, show us how to seek you, and to honour those around us who are seeking you as well.