1 Corinthians 15:23-25
1Co 15:23 But each crop will be harvested in its own order: Christ, the first harvest, then the ones to be harvested by Christ when he makes his appearance.
1Co 15:24 Next the end of the harvest will happen, when he gives back the kingdom to God and Father, when he has eliminated every rule and every authority and power.
1Co 15:25 Because it will be necessary for him to reign until he has put all the hostile ones under his feet.
the return and resurrection
Paul had shown the necessity of the resurrection as it relates to the gospel, and to the person of Christ. Now he shows how the resurrection fits into God’s plan for the return of Christ.
- Since Christ is the first harvest, his resurrection took place first.
- When Christ appears again, all those who sleep in him will be raised by him to experience a resurrection like his — unto eternal life.
- When Christ appears again, he will begin a reign on earth which will eventually eliminate every sort of opposition to the kingdom of God.
- At the end of this reign, Christ will give back the cleansed kingdom to God and Father.
- So, Christ begins his return with a rescue of all the saints who are asleep. He concludes his reign by returning the universe to the Father, after it has been set from from sin.
LORD, come and restore us to the life you wanted for us.