Hebrews 7. The new covenant put into effect by Jesus is so much better than the old instituted by Moses. The author of Hebrews proves this by showing why Jesus has “become a high priest forever after the order of Melchizedek” (6:20).
- Jesus offers true righteousness and peace with God (1-3).
- Abraham recognized the supremacy of Melchizedek’s priesthood by tithing to him (4-10).
- The Mosaic law could not make us perfect or allow us to draw near to God. Christ’s sacrifice does both (11-19).
- Jesus offers permanent atonement because he lives forever to make intercession (20-25).
- Jesus need not sacrifice daily because he has no personal sins to receive forgiveness for (26-28).
LORD, thank you for our great high priest who has interceded for us once for all. We cling to him, forsaking all others. He alone is the way.